Saturday, June 12, 2010

Running Bridges to the Road Less Traveled

After being turned away by the Meriden Fire Dept. With my pile of fire house patches and pictures on news articles, them saying they had no way of knowing if we were nartoowells with intentions to break into vehicles and cause general mayhem in the fire company parking lot. We moved onto Guida's,
Who serve up a tasty burger and shake as well as hospitality unmatched in certain municipal circles. They were even trusting enough to leave the bathroom door ajar after giving us permission to stay in the parking area for the night. In the morning, our day of spinning out of kilter ended, we had a fresh and delicious breakfast in Guida's at the intersection of Routes 147 & 66 where your coffee is refilled with a smile. Fed and refreshed we began the walk on Route 66 into Middletown, through to Main Street and the "bridge" to Portland.

The bridge has a name. The people of Middletown call it the Portland Bridge and Portlandians call it the Middletown Bridge despite it's given name, which I have forgotten already. I was told by a helpful couple that when it was built it was one of two identical designs, and the only of the two which survives. The other fell into the river some thirty years ago. I will remember it as Portland's Pike's Peak. It's approach was long and curved with a narrow walkway which had a four inch round hand rail on one side and square topped posts on the other to the main bridge structure. I balanced the six foot World on the rounded rail and rolled it up the long approach which I likened to the railings on the trails to Pike's Peak in Colorado. One error and the World would come to an untimely end. Then when I came to the bridge beams I tempted fate and ran the bridge on the four lane roadway to the shock of the speeding traffic who I found do not take kindly to changing lanes or going the speed limit. It was a nervous four minutes. Then the decent upon the opposing side on the railing that wound down into Portland was no easier as the cars and trucks seemed less inclined to move to the inside lane as they honked in plea for me not to send the World crashing onto their vehicle, as if... When I arrived at the end of the rail where gaurdrailing supported by -I-beam hampered my way I had to detach the world from it's leash and shove it over the wall and down the grassy and steep side where it came to rest next to Lower Main Street.Then the police came for an explaination. They had been called thinking I was going to send the world into the river. Pshaw!!!
It was then that I met the Good People of the afternoon who took me to the support van after a cup of coffee and some historical conversation about the bridge and the two river towns. I am thankful they sowed up when they did as it may have been difficult to get someone to ride me back to Guida's once we had walked into the evening. Also I want to thank Pro Mold Plastics for letting me leave the Van in the parking lot for a few hours during or walk out of town along Route 66. I can not leave out the Sisters who were so helpful at days end in getting us situated and taking some photos at the East Hampton Fire house who, by the way, aloowed us sanccuary in their parking area sight unseen.

Finally, Thanks to the patrons and managment of Winchester's who ledd us to the backroad around the "ledges" on Route 66, The scenic and less traveled road where we walked under an arched rail bridge and met many locals who were able to take the time to safely stop and talk.

My thumbs are getting sore from punching on the "thumberry" and My son has just crawled out from under the blanket so I will forgo a spell check and hang the phone back on my neck to prepare for the day , just for kicks, on Route 66.

Have a wonderful Saturday Connecticut!


Bhug said...

The name of the pass is the Arrigoni Bridge that connects Middletown and Portland, CT. The bridge opened in 1938 and was the longest of its kind at the time in New England area.

Derek Turner said...

I passed you in my car two days in a row...Friday while you were walking through Portland, guiding the world past a telephone pole, and then the next day in East Hampton around the Spice Hill Rd. area. I immediately made a facebook update via cell phone telling everyone about your arrival, since I had not known of your existence before Friday afternoon. I hope you enjoyed East Hampton and good luck on your journey.